Monday, July 5, 2010

Rocks & Rills

In observance of Independence Day, our church worship service had a strong patriotic theme.  During the service we sang "My Country 'Tis of Thee", a song I'm sure I have sung countless times.  However, this time I paid more attention to the second verse:
"My native country, thee, land of the noble free, Thy name I love:  I love thy rocks and rills, Thy woods and templed hill; My heart with rapture thrills like that above."
One short verse caused my mind to reel with questions:  What is a rill?  Is this a typo? Do I really love the rills?  How can I possible know if I love rills unless I first know what they are?  With so many questions, I went in search for answers.

The Van Buran Community Center defines rills as a result of erosion down a slope, and if this erosion is not corrected, gullies can form.  Gullies become streams, and streams become rivers.  With my first question answered, I still didn't know if I loved rills.  Knowing what something is and loving it is two separate things.  And who loves erosion anyway? 

Here's what rills look like:

(Van Buran Community Center)




Even though erosion can be destructive, I can see the beauty in the rills.  Can you? 

So, yes...I do love the rills; they have a purpose in nature.  I'm thankful for the song, "My Country 'Tis of Thee", which made me stop and take a better look at the beautiful country in which I live.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment